The curriculum CHIZ! Teaching Finger Math to Students with Learning Challenges – The Ladybug Series Adding and Subtracting (Grades1-4) was written by Lissa Bourgeault, a former instructor of students with learning and cognitive disabilities, and is used to accomplish the objectives of proficiency in math calculations. Based on Chisanbop, a method of finger math that originated in Korea, Chiz! opens the world of math facts to children who otherwise have struggled to learn numerical operations in the classroom. The functional math skills that are taught can be applied to real world settings (e.g., buying items at a store). Lessons are comprised of a series of foundational activities in adding and subtracting using multi-sensory based lessons, poems, games, materials and activities to teach finger math to students with learning challenges. Homework is recommended to occur for 0.5 hours three times a week (at minimum) for skills to solidify and generalize across learning environments.
Each student will move through the curriculum at their own pace and at the end of each semester, decisions are made with parents whether the student requires ongoing support into the next semester. Ongoing consultation with a psychologist and regular progress reports are also included in the programming.
Contact Eckert Psychology & Education Centre through our Client Services
Coordinator, Darlene, at 230-2959 ext 33 or email@example.com
CHIZ! at Eckert Psychology & Education Centre:
- Is supported by Educational Psychologists with expertise in math learning challenges
- Is provided by skilled trainers with background education and specific training in math development
- Presents activities in an enjoyable manner that helps students remain motivated throughout the program
- Is fine-tuned in its delivery to meet your child’s unique learning needs as they come to light during training
- Improves foundational skills in addition and subtraction
- Teaches proficiency in math calculations through multi-sensory based lessons that are fun and engaging
- Opens the world of math facts to children who have struggled to learn numerical operations in the classroom
- Provides a functional basis for math facts to be utilized in real world settings